Today I’m going to share a recipe that’s one of my favourite go-to recipes for when I need something quick and delicious and fuss-free. My recipe for chicken fried rice! While fried is has its origins in China, it’s been adapted to suit Indian taste buds and has fast become a favourites among Indians. Flavourful long-grained rice, sautéed with veggies, egg, ground chicken or turkey, and soy sauce, this dish doesn’t need an accompaniment and can be had as is. You can modify the recipe to include any kind of meat you prefer. While I’ve used ground chicken in the recipe, it works wonderfully well with ground pork or turkey, beef or even shrimp! For a meatless version, you can simply omit the meat and stick to egg and veggies, in which case you’d have to increase the number of eggs you use in the recipe. I’d recommend using 6 eggs for a great egg fried rice. However, if you’d like to keep it strictly vegetarian, just skip the eggs and meat and stick to your choice of veggies! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Basmati Rice – 2 cups
- Carrot – 1
- Celery sticks – 2
- (You can also use other vegetables like Capsicum, Cabbage, snap peas, green beans, corn, peas, asparagus etc.)
- Egg scrambled – 2
- Ground Pepper- 2 tbsp.
- Soy sauce – as needed
- Boneless skinless chicken- as needed (canned chicken breast can be used)
- Salt – to taste
- Chicken bouillon cubes (optional)
- Ginger Garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Scallions (green onion) – 1 bunch
You can also add other vegetables like red cabbage, white cabbage, leeks, fennel, green peas, corn etc. Just finely chop them like thin match sticks or grate them.
- Cook the rice separately (1 cup rice: 1.5 cup water ratio)
- Chop the carrot and celery sticks using blender or by hand .
- If canned chicken is used drain the excess water and cook in the microwave for 2 minutes and shred it. If using the fresh chicken, boil it and shred it.
- In a wok add little butter add ginger garlic paste and fry the shredded chicken
- Remove the chicken from wok now add little more butter fry the chopped carrot with salt and pepper.
- After removing the carrot, fry the chopped celery with butter, salt and pepper.
- Similarly fry the green onions with little butter and keep aside.
- Now in the same wok fry the rice, soy sauce and add the fried chicken, scrambled egg, along with the carrots, celery and green onions and fry all together. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Do step 8 in small batches so that all the ingredients can blend together well. Serve hot!