Like all good things in life, there’s only two things I ask for from the soups in my life. That they be packed with flavour (the spicier, the better, if you ask me) and be hearty enough to be a meal in themselves. What’s not to love about soup dinners? What’s not to love about this chicken tortilla soup, for instance?
Fragrant, oh-so flavorful broth. Tender, juicy chicken. Sweet bits of corn and that delicious kick from the enchilada sauce? Woah, I almost just made myself hungry for this once again. AND I ONLY JUST HAD A BOWL OF IT FOR LUNCH. This recipe, I tell ya…
A few tips on how to serve this baby: sour cream and a scoop of guacamole (if you have it on hand) is absolutely encouraged. I like to squeeze some lemon juice over it right before I serve it and that works wonders for the flavors, IMHO. Just brings it all together. Make it, fall in love, thank me later.
- 1 pound shredded, cooked chicken
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chili peppers
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 7 corn tortillas
- vegetable oil
- Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chilies, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in water and chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir in corn and cilantro. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on a baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes. To serve, sprinkle tortilla strips over soup.