Oooh baby, it’s cold outside. And that can only mean one thing- comfort food, warm socks and movie marathons. Ah winters, how I’ve missed you. That beautiful nip in the air, the crisp, cool breeze. Bliss! Not only is this my favourite season of the year, but it’s also the perfect time to dish up rich, creamy recipes that feel like a big, giant hug. Enter my recipe for a hearty and fulfilling lentil soup with winter vegetables and chicken. The recipe has all the good things a soup should have; it’s delicious, nutritious, packed with tons of flavour and comes together really fast. Serve it with some warm crusty bread and a side salad and you have a delightful soul-satisfying winter meal in minutes!
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups low salt chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked or baked chicken chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1 celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- Half a teaspoon of paprika
- A pinch of dried oregano
- A pinch of fresh ground black pepper
- Bring the water to boil in a soup pot on a high flame and add the lentils, onions, celery, carrots, salt, paprika, oregano, pepper and the chicken stock.
• Bring the flame down to a medium low cover it and let it simmer for about thirty to thirty-five minutes, stir it every eight to 10 minutes.
• Then add the zucchini and the diced chicken along with the parsley, cover and simmer for about 10 to fifteen minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
• Serve lentils soup in bowls. (Crumbled feta cheese may be added as seasoning)