As you already know, there are a few things in life, I always take for granted. Like chicken breasts. Chicken breasts are my go-to choice for quick and easy weeknight dinners and you’ll always get a delicious meal that required little to no prep. Now, this here, Chicken Roulade? Absolute winner. It doubles as a dinner party menu item and weeknight dinner and is one of my favourite recipes ever. I can’t even begin to tell you how much I love that filling. Mushrooms and spinach have always made a winning combination, be it in frittatas, omelets, quiches, pies, the list is endless! I prefer using fresh spinach, but you can always use store-bought frozen spinach. It’s easier that way if you’re making it for a weeknight dinner. This chicken is wonderfully crisp on the outside and deliciously juicy and soft on the inside. It’s baked, calls for no cheese or cream and so, by default, becomes an excellent guilt-free dinner. Serve with a fresh tossed salad and a glass of your favourite wine. Yum!
- 2 (3/4 lb.) chicken breasts, butter flied
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 ounces fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 ounces portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounces onions, diced
- 2 – 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- salt and pepper
- 1 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Sauté mushrooms, onions, and garlic for 4 minutes. Add spinach and white wine cook until wine is evaporated.
- Season with thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper and allow cooling.
- Place chicken between plastic wrap and pound thin.
- Season both sides of breast with salt and pepper.
- Add egg to stuffing and place half the stuffing in each breast.
- Fold over to encase stuffing and tie with butcher’s twine to hold the stuffing in place.
- Dredge each of the chicken breast with the flour.
- Heat butter and the last 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan.
- Brown chicken on all sides 5-10 minutes.
- Place into a hot oven for 15 minutes
- Remove string before serving.